Thursday, April 14, 2011

What Happens in Vegas Part 2: See the Sign


I wanted to see the Las Vegas sign.  My sister successfully talked me out of seeing the sign on a previous trip.  She overemphasized the long walk along the highway...in the middle of nowhere....in the hot desert sun.  I reluctantly give in with my typical, "Alright, if you say so."  

I regretted not making the effort.

This time Dan was game.  We set off to see the sign.  Problem...neither one of us knew for sure where it was.  We managed to get vague directions of "Middle of the highway past Mandalay Bay." Sounded good enough for me.

We got off the bus in front of the Luxor with smiles on our faces. I mentioned hearing about a really nice aquarium as we passed Mandalay Bay.

Dan's response:  "Where is the sign again?"

"I don't know.... Middle of the highway past Mandalay Bay."

We watched helicopters lifting off across the highway.  I asked Dan if he would like to tour the Grand Canyon by helicopter someday.

Dan's response:  "Where is the sign again?"

"I don't know.... Middle of the highway past Mandalay Bay."

At the point where the extravagance of the Las Vegas strip dwindles down to nothing more than the airport on one side, a desolate golf club covering miles on the other, and the exact spot where Dan's patience wares out....

He asked again, ..."Where is the sign?"

"I don't know.... Middle of the highway past Mandalay Bay,"  I whined pathetically.

"How far past Mandalay Bay?"

"I don't know."  I threw my hands up, "Miles, maybe..."

I could see a sign that I might be in the middle of the highway past Mandalay Bay.

A somewhat heated discussion ensued.  Continue or return? 

Ironically, I didn't want to see the sign anymore.  He pointed out how I insisted on seeing it.  I overemphasized the long walk along the highway...in the middle of nowhere....in the hot desert sun.  Dan was determined now.  I managed to drag him this far.  He would drag me the rest of the way.  He gave me his hat, took my hand, and we walked a few hundred yards in silence.

Then it happened. 

Have you ever watched a movie of people lost in the desert?  One where a person walks endlessly over sand dunes in the grueling sun to get instantly overjoyed to come upon a mirage?  That is exactly what it was like.  We saw the sign up ahead in the distance.  Not only that, we saw Elvis.  He was dressed in full 70's garb posing for pictures with happy tourists. 

We did it!  Mission accomplished.  We saw the sign and it was awesome.

I looked past the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" to see Mandalay Bay.  It wasn't that far.  We got aggravated over nothing.

I saw the sign Sis, so there!  *sicks out tounge*


Next time you're in Vegas...SEE THE SIGN.

3 comments:

  1. Great story! I am glad you finally got to see the sign. I remember seeing this sign so many years ago and have totally forgotten it was still there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that sign. Next time, I'll help ya find it. I bet people are always looking for it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great writing Mary. Keep it up - I miss your articles.

    ReplyDelete