Friday, January 28, 2011

American Idiot


No, I’m not talking about me, though I get how you could easily make that assumption.  I am speaking of the Broadway Musical of Green Day’s American Idiot. I had the privilege of watching Green Day’s front man, Billie Joe Armstrong; perform in the role of St. Jimmy this past weekend.  I had the time of my life!  It was fascinating to watch the creator of this album bring it to life on stage with an entire cast of extremely talented people.

American Idiot was right up my alley, being the punk that I am.  However, it’s not necessarily the kind of show I would take my mother to.  She hesitates to see Broadway shows with me anyway.  After taking her to RENT a few years ago, she no longer trusts my judgment.  In fact, I’m surprise she didn’t require a personal inspection of the Radio City Rockettes to prove they were not actually men in drag. 

In American Idiot, Billie Joe’s character of St. Jimmy is imaginary.  He’s a figment of the main character, Johnny’s imagination.  St. Jimmy represents the manifestation of demons Johnny struggles with, similar to an animated devil sitting on his shoulder.  He lures Johnny toward the decadent temptations of sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Since the show, I’ve been wondering what it would be like to have St. Jimmy, in the form of Billie Joe, follow me around all day.  The thought should scare me, but honestly, it would be totally cool.  Unfortunately, Billie Joe would be board to tears with my vices of chocolate, cheesecake and Bravo Channel reality programing.  In the end it’s right to bid him good riddance....At least for my imaginary Billie Joe's sake. 

Thank you for all the well wishes on my last post about managing skin caner.  I want you all to know, I am finished with the Carac treatment and my face looks and feels much better.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds really interesting!! I can't believe I'll probably never see it until some big shot decides to make a film adaption of the play! Thanks for sharing Mary <3

    ReplyDelete