Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Training

The Northeast has been hit pretty hard by snow.  We are expecting another storm tonight.  My town is not as bad off as New York City; however, our icy, snow-covered sidewalks do make it difficult for walking a dog...especially an impatient one who wants to pull you across those snow-covered walks.  This past Sunday, after a grueling walk with Katie, my husband, who I lovingly refer to as Diligent Dan, decided it was time to sign Katie up for dog training.  He had asked me to do this many times, but my response was the usual, “I’ll look into it,” which means, in procrastinator’s code, the chances of that happening are slim to none.  Unfortunately, Dan has become fluent in this language. 

He parked himself at the computer, turned to me saying “Come here.” 

He pulled over another chair, pointed to it and said “Sit.” 

He got on the website for a local pet store to register for training. 

I noticed some dirty dishes on the counter. 

When I got up he said “No.” 

He pointed back to the chair and said “Sit.” 

A few seconds later, my daughter called from another room. 

He gave me the stern look and a hand to my face, followed by the command, “Stay.” 

I am beginning to suspect Dan has been secretly taking wife training classes.  If this is true, then in my defense I must mention, it has taken him 16 years to look into it. 

Katie’s dog training classes are scheduled for Tuesdays starting January 25th.

The kids got an Xbox for Christmas and have been playing with it non-stop.  Microsoft set random, unique, temporary user-names when signing up for Xbox Live.  The name they gave me:  FallibleObject3.  No lie! 

Fallible Object didn’t sound too flattering, so I looked it up.  According to the Cambridge Dictionary Online, the definition of Fallible Object is something that is not likely to work on a satisfactory level.  Well....This got my blood pumping.  Apparently I need to have a long, serious discussion with the brainiacs at Microsoft.  The first question on my list....How did they know?  Don't worry.  I do have the option to change my user name.  I'm looking into it.

One Xbox Kinect game that peaked my interest was Dance Central.  My nine-year old daughter Kasey can really shake it.  It looks like a fun way to exercise.  Now, like most mothers, I worry about what my children are exposed to.  When I hear a song on the radio that seems a bit too explicit for young ears, such as Katy Perry’s, “I Kissed a Girl,” I quickly change the station and say, “I don’t want to listen to that.  It’s inappropriate.”  A lot of good this has done.  The first thing Kasey helped me with on Dance Central was to point out all the songs I won’t want to listen to because they're inappropriate.   

Dance Central didn’t work out well.  All the time spent in clubs during the 80’s and 90's hasn’t helped me out at all.  Yesterday I bought a more appropriate work out game for me....The Biggest Loser.  Which reminds me, I better get to my training before the anminated Jillian Michaels yells at me.

4 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I haven't been on the Wii in a while. It gowned last time I stepped on it and cheers for the hub. LoL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this so much I had to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, you really are a natural at this. Another great post!

    You're going to get in trouble with Dan - LOL. Good luck with the training (with Katie).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this post so much I had to share it with Rudy. He cracked up too. Keep up the great writing. I just love your blog!

    ReplyDelete